Photoshow with Music of Hakgala Botanic Garden and the Seetha Amman Temple which is near the Garden. I visited these places on 29. November 2015. Some rain in the morning created a special Atmosphere. I like this garden because of its wild beauty of nature.
Here some facts of Hakgala and Seetha Amman Temple:
Hakgala Botanical Garden is situated on the Nuwara Eliya-Badulla main road, 16 km from Nuwara Eliya. The garden has a cool temperate climate because of altitude is 5,400 feet (1646 m) above the sea level. The mean annual temperature ranges between 16 °C to 30 °C during course of a year. From December to February it has a cold climate, while the warm climate persists from April to August.
1. The Hakgala gardens were established for cultivation of the medicinal crop Cinchona.
2. Afterwards it was used for Tea cultivation.
3. In 1884 it was changed into a garden with many subtropical and tropical plants.
4. The legendary Indian folktale ‘Ramayana’ states that Sita, the wife of Rama, was abducted and imprisoned in this area by the Demon King Ravana who ruled Sri Lanka.
5. The Hakgala garden was supposed to have been a pleasure garden gifted to Sita by the Demon King in an attempt to lessen her sorrow.
6. At the time it is supposed to have been called Ashok Vatika.
7. Almost as if to prove the legend a reality, the surrounding area known as Sita Eliya with a Goddess Sita Temple on the site.
8. The Hakgala gardens adjoin the Hakgala Strict Nature Reserve.
9. It has a peak of visitors in the local spring season since most plants are in bloom at the time.
10. The gardens are famed for their roses and orchids.
Seetha Amman Temple is located approximately 1 kilometre from Hakgala Botanical Garden and 5 kilometres from Nuwara Eliya. The temple is located in the village of Seetha Eliya (also known as Sita Eliya). This place is believed to be the site where Sita was held captive demon king , and where she prayed daily for Rama to come and rescue her in the Hindu epic, Ramayana. On the rock face across the stream are circular depressions said to beRavana the footprints of Rawana’s elephant.
Video Rating: / 5